What is a CMS Website?
A Content Management System or CMS is a software which is used for creating, managing and editing a website even if you do not have any specialized technical skills or knowledge. With CMS, you can develop and design a website without even having to write the code. In short, a CMS website is a website which is developed by using a content management system. CMS not only helps in managing the text or images which are being displayed on the website, they also help in tracking the user sessions, handling the search queries, collecting visitor feedback and comments, hosting forums on the website etc.
Rather than developing and building a system which can help in creation of web pages or store images, CMS can be useful for handling all types of infrastructure work, while you or your website developer can concentrate on the customer facing areas of the CMS website.
What is the use of CMS?
There a number of advantages of CMS, let us look at a few of them:
1. Updating your CMS website as per your own requirements and terms
If your website is managed or developed by a third-party developer, you will need to content them for each and every small or big change you need to make to your website. For example if you want to add images or update about a new event, you will have to ask them to do it for you. Instead of going to the developer for each and every small thing, a CMS website helps you to get rid of this to and fro business. A CMS website can be updated and managed easily by you, without having to depend on a third person. A CMS enables you in making your website updated, more dynamic and more interesting and useful to your visitors.
2. No Coding knowledge required
Content management systems are a boon to users who do not have any coding knowledge. They were specifically built keeping in mind users having little to no previous programming experience. Once your CMS website is completely developed by a professional developer, you can manage the content on the website easily with a CMS. The CMS comes with a WYSIWYG editor (What You See Is What You Get), which helps you to manage and edit web content, like images and text on the website. It is as simple as creating a document on Microsoft Word. CMS is very useful in creating web pages, blog posts, news articles etc. on the website.
3. Simplifies the redesigning of the website
Websites developed with support from CMS have their designs created separately from the content. Therefore in case you want to redesign the website or make some design specific changes, you can do so without having rehaul the complete website. The old design can be easily replaced with a new design in a CMS website.
4. Provides an all-inclusive internet marketing strategy
The best CMS for websites offer everything which is needed for implementing an integrated online marketing strategy. Most of the CMS offer tools for SEO, email marketing, social media marketing and blogging. CMS can also be used for creating event or member registration forms, collecting payments and for creating a member information database.
5. Multiple Access and Collaboration
A CMS allows a number of people to have easy access to the website and also collaborate on different projects while working on it. Individuals can create their own accounts and by logging through these individual accounts, multiple users can manage, edit or update content on the website from their own computers or devices. The CMS helps in storing all the online content and making it available to everyone who has access to the website. Which means you no longer will need to send files multiple times to different individuals. Content management systems are extremely convenient for people who are always on-the-go, people who would need to access the back-end of the website from different locations.
6. Website Security
Today it is very important that your website is secure and cannot be hacked. Especially in this fast growing online world, where ecommerce has become the buzz, it is important for website owners of ecommerce business to ensure that their website is safe and secure. Content management systems are regularly tested computer scientists to ensure that the websites are completely secure. There are a number of plugins and tools also which are available which can be used to increase the website’s security.
7. Affordable and Time saving Maintenance
Maintaining a static website is expensive. You need a web developer to frequently update and make changes to maintain it. Other than the cost involved, it also takes some time for the updates to be seen on the website. Choosing a content management system can help you save both time and money. Thanks to a CMS you may not have to be dependent on a developer to make some common changes or for maintaining it. CMS is so easy to work, one can easily make these changes when need arises.
Some popular content management system examples are:
- WordPress: WordPress is the most popular content management system example, it has the largest market share amongst its competitors. Itis used by over 30% of the websites. Some big names like The New York times or BBC America or Forbes are WordPress CMS websites. Working on WordPress is extremely easy and you can create really professional looking websites with it. It is inexpensive, you can even say almost free. A CMS which is both reliable and flexible, which offers get performance to your visitors. Posting new content and pages is very easy with WordPress. It has a powerful editor which is very useful for formatting the content.
- Joomla: After WordPress, Joomla is the second most content management system example. It may not be as beginner-friendly like WordPress, but it is very flexible in a number of aspects of web development and creation.Like WordPress it is also an open-source CMS which enables users to develop and build engaging and professional looking web pages without having the need to know coding or any other technical skills. Joomla offers multilingual support, which saves you from using plugins or extensions for adding languages to your website. You can also use more than one templates or themes at once on the same website for different types of content.
- Drupal: It has all the features required for a good CMS. Though it is not as easy to use and is more complicated than WordPress or Joomla, it is a good content management system example, because it was developed keeping in mind the needs of website developers. It is considered far more secure than WordPress and Joomla. It is known for its scalability and security features, making it a better option for business CMS websites.
- Typo3: It is not a very popular CMS, however that doesn’t make it a lesser option for building a CMS website. The main differentiating point between Typo3 and other CMS is its scalability. It caters to a niche like enterprise-level websites. For example, if you are looking for a CMS for developing an intranet, Typo3 would be the right choice for you. It provides multilingual support and supports running of multiple websites from a single installation. Like Drupal it is aimed at website developers or people who have some experience in web development.
So which is the Best CMS for a website?
After reading about some of the content management system examples mentioned above, we can say that WordPress is the best CMS for a website. It is the most popular and also extremely user-friendly. It owns around 35.2% market share among CMS websites.
Which CMS to choose for your website is a personal choice? As we discussed above there are many advantages of CMS and they are very useful. Different CMS have different features, and you can select the best CMS for your website depending on your requirement. Though there are many CMS in the market, they all will have the same purpose, they all can help in managing, editing and creating your website. All the content management system examples mentioned above have their own set of pros and cons. So it is important you study all the options available and select the best which can meet your requirements.
With the help of a CMS it would become unbelievably easy to manage your website and also make it more effective. A CMS will help you save a lot of money and you would not have to be dependent on a third party for every small changes or updates you need to make to your website. So, what is stopping you? Upgrade your website to a CMS website today.
Velocity Consultancy is a professional Web Designing and Development Company providing comprehensive and cost effective web solutions for a wide range of website design & development services. We are dedicated in assisting small to medium sized businesses establish an online presence. We help our clients in harnessing the wide reach of the Internet by designing and developing web solutions which will help them in marketing their products to a larger audience. We have worked with many satisfied clients on redesigning their old websites, helping them create a professional website design using Content management systems.