In this age of digitalization a business website has become the core for everything the business wants to offer to its customers. A business website acts like an all-inclusive tool which tells the viewers about the company’s history, company’s values, mission, the products or services it offers, contact details etc. The website is the face of the business which the customers see, and if they are not happy with what they see or are unable to find what they want on the website, then you are in for real trouble. How the website looks, how easy it is to navigate, how helpful it is to the viewer to find what they are looking for, are questions which will determine whether you have successfully created a website or not.
With the introduction of internet, today people prefer searching online for what they are looking for rather than go from one store to another. A website is the first impression which a business makes on the customers. When a customer visits your website, they are hoping to be welcomed by a warm, friendly website. If the customer reaches a cluttered, unorganized website, how long do you think will he stay on the page?
The average time a visitor stays on the page for only 10-20 seconds if they are not able to find what they were searching for. Viewers have a short attention span, hence you need to design a website which can grab the visitor’s attention and make them stay on it.
Below mentioned are a few tips for effective web design:
- Company logo: Your logo is your identity, it is very important that your brand logo is displayed on your website. Display it in such a way that the viewer’s eyes directly fall on it, generally placing the logo on the upper left hand corner of the website is the best placement. The logo should be large enough, so that all the elements of the logo are visible. Use a high resolution image.
- Fonts: People should be able to read what content is mentioned on the website. Do not go overboard and use fancy fonts to make the website look attractive. Stick to the common fonts, and try using the same font all through the website. The website should look professional. Follow the formatting techniques by using headings, sub headings, bullet points etc.
- Colour: The use of colours will determine if your website looks professional or not. Do not make it a rainbow of colours, stick to using maximum 3 to 4 colours only, not including the neutral colours. Maintain a good contrast between the background colour and text colour. The colours should not get merged with each other and they should be pleasing to the eyes.
- White Spaces: Keep your web design simple, use of little white space will make it look clean and professional. Do not add images or text just to fill the pages and cover empty, use only useful and required content.
- Navigation: The goal of visiting a website is to find answers. If a visitor is unable to find what they are searching for or they find it difficult to browse through the website, the purpose of your website would be lost. For an effective web design, the navigation should be clear and simple. All the navigation links should be labelled and easily accessible.
An effective web design should be able to optimize the website and make it aesthetically pleasing and useable. The goal of web designing is to ensure the visitor doesn’t leave the website and continues browsing it and find what they came looking for. There are a number of tools which are very useful for effective web designing.
Some of the Tools for effective web design are:
Adobe® Illustrator® CS6 software helps in creating unique vector graphics required for any website designing project. It is useful in creating everything right from stunning web and mobile graphics to logos and icons. The designer can have access to a number of drawing tools which can help convert simple shapes and colours into classy and stylish logos, icons and graphics.
Adobe® Photoshop® CS6 software is one of the best imaging and graphic design software which helps in all avenues of website designing right from photo editing and compositing to animation and graphic design. The software offers professional photography tools which makes extremely simple to carry out everyday edits or total image transformations.
Adobe® Dreamweaver® CS6 is one of the best web authoring and editing software providing both visual and coding capabilities. It is very useful for producing standard website designs for all types of screens desktop, smartphones, tablets, etc.
Adobe® Fireworks® CS6 software has been designed specifically only for web designers. It provides the tools required for creating expressive, highly optimized graphics for the website. It is a commercial raster and vector graphics editor hybrid which includes a wide range of tools and options useful for full web layout prototyping.
Velocity Consultancy is a professional Web Designing and Development Company providing comprehensive and cost effective web solutions for a wide range of website design & development services. We are dedicated in assisting small to medium sized businesses establish an online presence. We help our clients in harnessing the wide reach of the Internet by designing and developing web solutions which will help them in marketing their products to a larger audience.